Hippocampus Success Seminar
Named after the part of the brain involved in memory formation, organization, and learning processes, the Hippocampus Success Seminar is an interactive program designed to orient new students to the academic rigor and expectations of the Creighton classroom.
Week 1 – A Beautiful Mind: The Psychology of Learning
Wednesday, September 5 | 7-8pm | HLSB 188
- Beliefs about how we learn and how our beliefs influence our success.
- Brain function and how it impacts concentration, focus, and handling distractions.
- Mindset, grit, and resilience – keys to overcoming setbacks.
Week 2 – The Choices You Have: Tried and True Study Skills
Wednesday, September 12 | 7-8pm | HLSB 188
- Class… to go or not to go? Homework… what if it isn’t required?
- Strategies to help manage all this FREE TIME and the importance of setting a schedule.
- Movin’ on up! How successful students make the jump from HS to college-level studying.
Week 3 – Get Connected: Resources and Tools for Success
Wednesday, September 19 | 7-8pm | HLSB 188
- It’s online, but where?! BlueLine, BlueCast, N.E.S.T., CUMail, & CreightonConnect.
- People to know, places to go… the Creighton EDGE, the Writing Center, & the library.
- Unleash the power of your mobile device for learning – there’s an app for that!
Week 4 – California Street: Act Like You Belong
Wednesday, September 26 | 7-8pm | HLSB 188
- How to succeed in different classroom environments.
- The value of learning for the sake of knowledge, not just because you have to!
- Professors are people, too! Get to know them (you’ll be glad you did).