How do we organize what we’ve got in here?

Posted by Chris Carmichael on September 19, 2007 in Groove |

Here’s my bias, right up front.  I’m a librarian.  I organize information and work with different organizational systems for a living.  I propose when a new Groove group is started, there are some ground rules that must be followed:

1.  The “owner” of the group is responsible for including all the members in a meeting to decide on an organizational scheme for the group.  Whether the group is gathered for a particular project or just because they all have the same interest makes no difference.

a. Consider different possibilities for organization

1.  By member name

2.  By type of information (annual report, weekly data call, meeting minutes, web link, news article, etc.)

3.  By type of document (doc, xls, ppt, jpg, pdf, etc.)

b.  Be flexible enough to be able to add more categories, but rigid enough to recognize when synonyms occur and only pick one.  (This should be a group decision.)

2.  Don’t be afraid to use the almighty DELETE key.

3.  Don’t prolong the interaction of a group if it’s not necessary.  When the project is done, disband the group and figure out what information within Groove is necessary to keep (archive), for how long and who will have access (records management).

4. Understand that each group participant’s computer maintains a copy of the material listed in Groove.

There are more things that go into organization, like sub-folders, action items, dates, etc.  If the group works out an organizational scheme at the beginning, it will be much easier than trying to make one fit after 2000 items have been added to the group space.

Share

Copyright © 2007-2017 Carmichael's Connundrum's All rights reserved.
Desk Mess Mirrored v1.7 theme from BuyNowShop.com.