Coordinating a Service & Justice Trip is one of the most rewarding and amazing leadership experience that Creighton offers. While you are responsible for the safety, logistics, and formation of your group, you are also in a unique position to accompany and challenge participants as they experience the world in a new way on a Service & Justice Trip. If you have previously been a participant on a Service & Justice Trip, you are eligible to apply for a coordinator position.
While the final plans for Fall Break may not be solidified until August due to COVID-19 social distancing measures currently in place, we are moving forward with the application process so we are ready to serve, learn, and reflect with community partners across the country if it is safe and possible to do so.
Thanks for your interest! Thanks for your flexibility! Let us know if you have any questions.
1. Apply online
A note about the application process:
Because we are expecting a competitive coordinator application process for Fall 2020 Service & Justice Trips, and because the application process is different this semester because of the social distancing measures due to COVID-19, it is extremely important to follow closely the steps of the application process listed below. While we may be able to be flexible with the timing of some of the formation requirements of the Service & Justice Trips coordinator role, it is important to note that leadership in the program is a significant time commitment where your attendance is expected at a number of events and meetings. While a conflict with training/formation does not automatically disqualify you from a position, since we have a finite number of coordinator spots, we’re going to prioritize selecting people who are able to complete all the required training.
If you are going to be studying abroad during the Spring Semester but would like to coordinate a Fall 2020 trip, please go through the application process now. You will have to attend Day of Formation now, and will continue the remainder of your formation and training once you return to campus in Fall 2020.
Please fill out the online portion of the application and submit it by April 17. Please plan for 20-30 minutes as there are essays, and you are not able to save your application and return at a later time. If you begin the application, it may be submitted to us even if it is not complete, please plan to complete it in one sitting to avoid duplicate applications.
Once you finish your application, please sign up for an interview. Interviews should take between 20 and 30 minutes and be completed online.
2. Complete the interview (April 20-22).
- The interview is an opportunity for Core Team to get to know you better. Because our main focus during the interview is your answers, we do not need you to dress up.
- We will extend offers to applicants on the evening of April 23. Coordinator offers are contingent and require successful completion of the first two parts of the Coordinator Formation process.
Coordinator formation for Fall 2020 trips will look differently than past semesters due to social distancing measures. All the dates for formation are listed in the calendar below; however, there are some important aspects to highlight.
- Virtual Community Building (April 25, 2-3:30 PM CDT): In order to give coordinators an opportunity to meet one another, and to briefly go over a few different parts of the formation process, the Service & Justice Trips Core Team will be holding a Virtual Community Building formational afternoon.
- Blueline modules – Core Team will put together approximately 6-8 hours of formation content that will be posted on Blueline. Content will be a mixture of videos, and asynchronous discussion that can be completed anytime between April 25th and August 7th. Coordinator applicants that do not complete the required training before the deadline will have their coordinator application withdrawn/moved to the participant application roster.
- After August 7th, coordinators that have successfully completed the leadership formation/training will be placed on trips for Fall 2020. There will be two, in-person formation meetings on Thursday, September 3, and Thursday, September 10 from 9-11 PM.
4. Payment (August 25):
- The SCSJ will be accepting the full payment for trips when students return to campus in August. We accept cash, check or credit card in the office. All coordinators receive a minimum $100 leadership scholarship. This scholarship goes up $30 for each additional trip one coordinates. Coordinators pay $225 or less for their trips.
- There are a limited number of need-based student scholarships available. The priority deadline for scholarships is August 19. After that, scholarship applications will be processed on a rolling basis while funds allow. You can apply for a scholarship here.
- Your Service & Justice Trips payment will be refundable for one week from the date of payment. Should you withdraw from the Service & Justice Trips program after that point, no portion of the payment is refundable because costs have been incurred on your behalf to prepare for the trips.
Fall 2020 Service & Justice Trips Dates
|Coordinator Applications Due||April 17||11:59 PM||Online|
|Coordinator Interviews||April 20-22||8 AM – 5 PM CDT||Online|
|Virtual Formation/Community Building||April 25||2 PM – 3:30 PM CDT||Online|
|Scholarship Applications Due||Aug 19||11:59 PM||Online|
|Coordinator & Participant Payments Due||Aug. 25||8 AM – 4:30 PM||SCSJ|
|Coordinator Meeting 1||Sept. 3||9-11 PM||Skutt 105|
|Coordinator Meeting 2||Sept. 10||9-11 PM||Skutt 105|
|General Meeting 1||Sept. 17||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 2||Sept. 24||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 3||Oct. 1||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|Send-Off Service||Oct. 8||9-10 PM||St. John’s|
|Reunion||Oct. 22||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|