Coordinating a Service & Justice Trip is one of the most rewarding and amazing leadership experience that Creighton offers. While you are responsible for the safety, logistics, and formation of your group, you are also in a unique position to accompany and challenge participants as they experience the world in a new way on a Service & Justice Trip. If you have previously been a participant on a Service & Justice Trip, you are eligible to apply for a coordinator position.
A note about the application process:
Because we are expecting a competitive coordinator application process for Spring 2018 Service & Justice Trips, it is extremely important to follow the steps of the application process closely. The steps for the application process are outlined below. Please note that it is critical that coordinators be able to attend the Day of Formation, which will take place on Saturday November 18, 2017 from 8:00 am-5:00 pm.
If you are going to be studying abroad during the Spring Semester but would like to coordinate a Fall 2018 trip, please go through the application process now. You will need to attend Day of Formation this semester, and continue the remainder of your formation and training once you return to campus in Fall 2018.
Please fill out the online portion of the application and submit it by November 8. Please plan for 30-60 minutes as there are essays, and you are not able to save your application and return at a later time. If you begin the application, it may be submitted to us even if it is not complete, please plan to complete it in one sitting to avoid duplicate applications.
You will need to stop by the SCSJ office by November 8 to sign up for an interview. Come as soon as you can to assure that you get a spot. A 20-25 minute interview will take place on November 9 or 10; no need to dress up.
2. Complete the interview (November 9 or 10).
- The interview is an opportunity for Core Team to get to know you better. Because our main focus during the interview is your answers, we do not need you to dress up.
- We will be deliberating on applicants after we finish all the interviews.
- Work Sample (please bring to your interview):
- As a way to gather new creative ideas for our committees and program in general, we are asking coordinators to bring to their interviews a sample of what they offer as a coordinator to the Service & Justice Trips Program. Thinking of our events and looking at the roles of a coordinator, feel free to bring in anything that shows your talent (other than your outline of a reflection which you already included in your application). This could be a letter to a family member telling them about your trip that we could use in our fundraising material or as an advocacy piece, a new way to present a pillar at a general meeting, or something creative such as T-shirt design idea or a new flyer layout.
3. Day of Formation
We will let coordinator applicants know shortly after they interview whether they have received an invitation to come to Day of Formation on November 18 from 8 am – 5 pm. Day of Formation is an off-campus leadership development experience that prepares coordinator applicants for the rigors of leading a Service & Justice Trip. It also serves as one final touch point to see applicants in action (in a non-interview setting) before extending our final coordinator acceptances. We want to make sure that we’re not placing any students in a leadership situation where they aren’t going to thrive and be successful. We’ll follow up with all coordinator applicants after Day of Formation to confirm their status for Spring Break.
4. Complete the following in the SCSJ Office (Harper 2067) on November 27 or 28:
- Your deposit of $50. We accept cash, check or credit card in the office. This deposit will be subtracted from your payment of $230 for a full-week trip, or $130 for a half-week trip.
- Because of timing, payments will only be accepted on November 27 or 28
in our office.
There are a limited number of need-based student scholarships available. Those will be due November 20. Apply online.
- Payment will not be deposited until you have been offered a position and accepted. If you withdraw from a trip after the end of fall semester 2017, no refund will be available. If you are not selected as a coordinator, we are able to transfer your deposit and application to the spring 2018 participant list.
Spring 2017 & Fall 2017 Service & Justice Trips Dates
|Coordinator Applications Due||November 8||N/A||Online|
|Coordinator Interviews||November 9 & 10||8 AM – 5 PM||SCSJ|
|Day of Formation||November 18||8 AM – 5 PM||Boys & Girls Club|
|Scholarship Applications Due||November 20||N/A||Online|
|Coordinator & Participant Trips Deposits Due||November 27 & 28||8 AM – 4:30 PM||SCSJ|
|Participant Interviews||November 30||8-9 PM or 9-10 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|Coordinator Reveal||December 10||2 PM||SCSJ|
|Last Day to Withdraw and Get Deposit||December 16||N/A||SCSJ|
|Coordinator Meeting* 1||January 18||9-11 PM||Harper 3023|
|Coordinator Meeting* 2||January 25||9-11 PM||Harper 3023|
|General Meeting* 1||February 1||9-11 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|General Meeting* 2||February 8||9-11 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|Fall General Meeting* 3||February 22||9-11 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|Spring Send Off Service||March 1||9-10 PM||St. John’s Church|
|SBSJT Reunion||March 15||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|