Coordinating a Service & Justice Trip is one of the most rewarding and amazing leadership experience that Creighton offers. While you are responsible for the safety, logistics, and formation of your group, you are also in a unique position to accompany and challenge participants as they experience the world in a new way on a Service & Justice Trip. If you have previously been a participant on a Service & Justice Trip, you are eligible to apply for a coordinator position.
After talking with Creighton University administrators, and talking with our community partners, there is significant optimism that we will be able to resume the Service & Justice Trips program over the fall 2021 midterm break. As we still navigate a reality in the midst of a global pandemic, we know that some aspects of the program may look different than they have in previous semesters and we appreciate your flexibility as we work to make the program a safe and meaningful experience for all involved. We will post updates on our website as they are available, and communicate with applicants, participants, and coordinators to keep them appraised on developments.
1. Apply online
A note about the application process:
Because we are expecting a competitive coordinator application process for Spring 2022 Service & Justice Trips, and because the application process is different this semester because of the social distancing measures due to COVID-19, it is extremely important to follow closely the steps of the application process listed below. While we may be able to be flexible with the timing of some of the formation requirements of the Service & Justice Trips coordinator role, it is important to note that leadership in the program is a significant time commitment where your attendance is expected at a number of events and meetings. While a conflict with training/formation does not automatically disqualify you from a position, since we have a finite number of coordinator spots, we’re going to prioritize selecting people who are able to complete all the required training.
If you are going to be studying abroad during the Fall Semester but would like to coordinate a Spring 2022 trip, please go through the application process now. You will have to attend some formation now, and will continue the remainder of your formation and training once you return to campus in Spring 2022.
Please fill out the online portion of the application and submit it by November 4. Please plan for 20-30 minutes as there are essays, and you are not able to save your application and return at a later time. If you begin the application, it may be submitted to us even if it is not complete, please plan to complete it in one sitting to avoid duplicate applications.
Once you finish your application, a member of the Service & Justice Trips Core Team will be in touch within two business days to schedule an interview. Interviews should take between 20 and 30 minutes and will completed via Zoom. (Interviews will be occurring on a rolling basis to accommodate schedules of applicants and Core Team members. Early applications help us spread out interview load.)
2. Complete the interview (Rolling Basis – Last Interview done by November 19).
- The interview is an opportunity for Core Team to get to know you better. Because our main focus during the interview is your answers, we do not need you to dress up.
- We will extend offers to applicants by the evening of November 24. Coordinator offers are contingent and require successful completion of the first two parts of the Coordinator Formation process.
Coordinator formation for Spring 2022 trips will look differently than past semesters due to social distancing measures. All the dates for formation are listed in the calendar below; however, there are some important aspects to highlight.
- Coordinator Formation Spring Semester: The first coordinator formation meeting will be held on April 22 from 8-10 pm. The meeting will be held via Zoom.
- Summer Content – Due to the condensed academic schedule, an abundance of April commitments, and a desire to decrease stress at the end of the semester, we are moving approximately four hours of formation content to the summer months. The mixture of articles and videos can be engaged asynchronously anytime between the end of the school year and August 13.
- After August 13th, coordinators that have successfully completed the leadership formation/training will be placed on trips for Fall 2021. There will be three, in-person formation meetings – specifically for coordinators — on the afternoon of August 29, on Thursday, September 2, from 8:30-10:30 PM and Thursday, September 9 from 8:30-10:30 PM.
4. Payment (Spring Semester):
- The SCSJ will be accepting the full payment for trips when students return to campus in August. We accept cash, check or credit card in the office.The price of the Service & Justice Trips is historically $225 for a full week trip coordinators and $125 for 5-day Omaha trip coordinators. Because of the financial hardships brought on by the pandemic, the SCSJ has lowered the cost of the trips for Fall 2021 to $150 for full-week trips, and $75 for half-week trips. We are able to make this possible due to the generosity of donors who support SCSJ fundraising efforts.
- There are a limited number of need-based student scholarships available. The priority deadline for scholarships is August 19. After that, scholarship applications will be processed on a rolling basis while funds allow. You can apply for a scholarship here.
- Your Service & Justice Trips payment will be refundable for one week from the date of payment. Should you withdraw from the Service & Justice Trips program after that point, no portion of the payment is refundable because costs have been incurred on your behalf to prepare for the trips.
Fall 2021 Service & Justice Trips Dates
|Coordinator Applications Due||April 15||11:59 PM||Online|
|Coordinator Interviews||Rolling Basis||Rolling Basis||Zoom|
|Coordinator Formation Spring Semester||April 22||8-10 PM||Zoom|
|Scholarship Applications Due||Aug 19||11:59 PM||Online|
|Coordinator & Participant Payments Due||TBA||8 AM – 4:30 PM||SCSJ|
|Coordinator Bonding and Site Reveal||Aug. 29||TBA||TBA|
|Coordinator Meeting 1||Sept. 2||8:30-10:30 PM||TBA|
|Coordinator Meeting 2||Sept. 9||8:30-10:30 PM||TBA|
|General Meeting 1||Sept. 16||8:30-10:30 PM||TBA|
|General Meeting 2||Sept. 23||8:30-10:30 PM||TBA|
|General Meeting 3||Sept. 30||8:30-10:30 PM||TBA|
|Send-Off Service||Oct. 7||9-10:30 PM||TBA|
|Reunion||Oct. 21||9-10:30 PM||TBA|