Below is the information about the three required pieces of a complete Service & Justice Trips participant application.
In addition to the standard information that most applications ask for, the online application also has several brief essays and asks applicants to rank social justice issues they might be interested in learning about on a trip. The application takes about half an hour, and there is no way to save and come back. Please plan accordingly.
All applications are for the general Service & Justice Trips Program and not for a specific site. We will take into consideration your preferences but we can offer no placement guarantees.
The second part the application process is an interview. Participant interviews will be held on November 21 from 8 -8:45 pm or 9-9:45 pm in a group setting. You only need to attend one interview. If you are unable to attend either of these interview times, either because you’re studying abroad or because of a schedule conflict, please e-mail Jeff Peak to schedule an interview at a different time. Interviews are relatively informal and there is no need to dress up.
E-mail Jeff Peak if you have questions about the interview process.
3. Make your deposit.
By November 26th, you will be notified if you’ve been accepted in the Service & Justice Trips program. In order to officially hold your spot in the program, you are asked to make a $50 deposit. The days to make your deposit will be Dec. 3-5. Payments of cash, check, or credit card will be accepted. After Dec. 5th, spots will be filled in the Service & Justice Trips program on a first come, first served basis. Once the program is full, everyone else will be placed on a wait list. The cost of the entire trip is $325 for full week and $235 for 5-day Omaha trips. The remaining balance of your payment will be due in January. Costs are offset by SCSJ fundraising.
Your $50 deposit is refundable until Jan. 15, 2020, should you choose not to participate in the program. If you withdraw your application after that point, no portion of the payment is refundable because costs have been incurred on your behalf to prepare for the trips.
There are a limited number of need-based student scholarships available. The priority deadline for scholarships is November 21. After that, they will be processed on a rolling basis while funds allow. You can apply for a scholarship here.
- If you will be under 19 years old at any point during Spring Break 2020, please download the “Service & Justice Trips Under 19 Release Form.” You and a parent or guardian must both sign the document and return it by the time of your trip. You can e-mail it to Jeff Peak, or fax it to the SCSJ at 402.280.1259.
- Participants will find out at the first General Meeting where they are going on their trips.
- Our coordinators are of all ages, sophomores-seniors and a few graduate students.
- Before break, each Service & Justice Trips participant is required to complete Creighton’s Children and Vulnerable Adults training.
- There are a limited number of spots available. Once we reach our capacity number based on completed applications (including deposit and interview sign up), any additional applicant will be placed on the waiting list.
- The formation meetings listed below are mandatory. If you miss more than one of the General Meetings, we will re-evaluate your participation in the program with the likelihood that you will be asked to go on a trip in a future semester when you can attend the formation meetings.
Important Dates: 2020 Spring Break Service & Justice Trips
|General Applications Due||Nov. 21, 2019||N/A||Online|
|Scholarship Applications Due||Nov. 21, 2019||N/A||Online|
|Coordinator & Participant Trips Deposits Due||Dec. 3-5, 2019||8 AM-4:30 PM||SCSJ|
|Participant Interviews||Nov. 21||8-9 PM or 9-10 PM||Harper 3023|
|General Meeting 1 – Reveal/Bonding||Feb. 6||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|General Meeting 2||Feb. 13||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|General Meeting 3||Feb. 20||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 4||Feb. 27||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|Send Off Service||March 5||9-10:00 PM||St. John’s Church|
|Spring Break 2020||Mar. 6-14||N/A||All over!|
|Reunion||Mar. 19||9-10:30 PM||Harper 3023|