Note: After talking with Creighton University administrators, and talking with our community partners, there is significant optimism that we will be able to resume the Service & Justice Trips program over the fall 2021 midterm break. As we still navigate a reality in the midst of a global pandemic, we know that some aspects of the program may look different than they have in previous semesters and we appreciate your flexibility as we work to make the program a safe and meaningful experience for all involved. We will post updates on our website as they are available, and communicate with applicants, participants, and coordinators to keep them appraised on developments.
Application Process for Participants
Below is the application process for Service & Justice Trips participants. If you are interested in applying as a trip coordinator, that information can be found on the Coordinator Application Page. Please follow the instructions carefully. There is significant interest in the program for Spring 2022, and there are a limited number of spots.
- In addition to the standard information that most applications ask for, the online application also has several brief essays and asks applicants to rank social justice issues they might be interested in learning about on a trip. The application takes about half an hour, please plan accordingly.
- All applications are for the general Service & Justice Trips Program and not for a specific site. We will take into consideration your preferences but we can offer no placement guarantees.
- Applications by current students will be accepted until November 29 or until spots are filled. Not all our historic host partners will be able to welcome Creighton students in March and therefore we won’t have as many spots in our program as a typical semester.
- Applications by current students after November 29 or after the spots are filled will be placed on a waiting list. We will communicate with wait-list applicants in January about space in the program.
- All applications and acceptances are conditional. If you do not go through the interview process in August, or make an on-time payment, you will forfeit your spot and it will be filled by someone on the wait list.
- We are reserving spots in the program for incoming first-year and transfer students. Applications will be accepted throughout the summer and Welcome Week.
- The second part the application process is a 30 minute group interview. Because of the social distancing in place during Spring 2021 semester due to COVID-19, all interviews will be held during the first three weeks of classes in August. We will be offering multiple interview times, and we will contact you in early August to sign up for a group interview time. Interviews are relatively informal and there is no need to dress up. We ask all people interviewing for Service & Justice Trips to read the brief article, “In the Service of Life” before their interview.
- E-mail RJ Toledo if you have questions about the interview process.
- The price of the Service & Justice Trips is historically $325 for a full week trip and $235 for 5-day Omaha trips. Because of the financial hardships brought on by the pandemic, the SCSJ has lowered the cost of the trips for Fall 2021 to $275 for full-week trips, and $175 for half-week trips. We are able to make this possible due to the generosity of donors who support SCSJ fundraising efforts.
- In order to streamline the process of collecting payments, the SCSJ will accept the fee for your Service & Justice Trip in early September on specific payment days. Your Service & Justice Trips payment will be refundable for one week from the date of payment. Should you withdraw from the Service & Justice Trips program after that point, no portion of the payment is refundable because costs have been incurred on your behalf to prepare for the trips.
- There are a limited number of need-based student scholarships available. The priority deadline for scholarships is August 19. After that, scholarship applications will be processed on a rolling basis while funds allow. You can apply for a scholarship here.
- If you will be under 19 years old at any point during , please download the “Service & Justice Trips Under 19 Release Form.” You and a parent or guardian must both sign the document and return it before the time of your trip. You can e-mail it to RJ Toledo, or fax it to the SCSJ at 402.280.1259.
- Participants will find out at the first General Meeting where they are going on their trips.
- Our coordinators are of all ages, sophomores through seniors and a few graduate students.
- Before break, each Service & Justice Trips participant is required to complete Creighton’s Children and Vulnerable Adults training.
- There are a limited number of spots available. Once we reach our capacity number based on completed applications (including interviews), any additional applicant will be placed on the waiting list.
- The formation meetings listed below are mandatory. If you miss more than one of the General Meetings, we will re-evaluate your participation in the program with the likelihood that you will be asked to withdraw from the program and go on a trip in a future semester when you can attend the formation meetings.
Important Dates: 2022 Spring Break Service & Justice Trips
|Priority Application Deadline||Nov. 29||11:59 pm||Online Application|
|Scholarship Applications Due||Nov. 29||11:59 pm||Online Application|
|Participant Interviews||TBA||TBA||TBA – Fall Semester|
|Payment Due||TBA||8 AM-4:30 PM||SCSJ|
|General Meeting 1||Feb. 10||8-11 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 2||Feb. 17||8-11 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 3||Feb. 24||8-11 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|Send Off Service||Mar. 3||9-10:30 PM||TBA|
|Spring Break 2022||Mar. 6-13||N/A|
|Reunion||Mar. 17||8-11 PM||Skutt Ballroom|