While Fall 2020 will look different from past semesters because of COVID-19, the Service & Justice Trips program is adapting its transformational programming to still allow students, faculty, staff, and alumni to learn, engage, reflect, and act with our incredible community partners over the course of the semester. Learn more here.
Thanks for your interest! Thanks for your flexibility! Let us know if you have any questions.
1. Apply online for a 2020 Fall Break Service & Justice Trip.
In addition to the standard information that most applications ask for, the online application also has several brief essays and asks applicants to rank social justice issues they might be interested in learning about on a trip. The application takes about half an hour, please plan accordingly.
All applications are for the general Service & Justice Trips Program and not for a specific site. We will take into consideration your preferences but we can offer no placement guarantees.
For priority application consideration, please submit your online application by May 1st.
The second part the application process is a 15-20 minute individual interview with a member of the Service & Justice Trips Core Team. Because of the social distancing in place during Spring 2020 due to COVID-19, all interviews during the spring semester and early summer will be held virtually. Once you complete the online application for a trip, a member of Core Team will reach out within the week to schedule an interview with you. Interviews are relatively informal and there is no need to dress up. We ask all people interviewing for Service & Justice Trips to read the brief article, “In the Service of Life” before their interview.
E-mail Jeff Peak if you have questions about the interview process.
For current students that apply and interview before the end of the semester, we will notify you by May 8th if you’ve been accepted into the Service & Justice Trips program for Fall 2020. Current students that apply and interview after that will be accepted on a rolling basis as space is available.
In order to allow incoming first-year and transfer students to participate in the Fall 2020 program, the SCSJ holds back spots specifically for these students who will be applying on a slightly different timeline. If you are an incoming student to Creighton University, you can apply over the summer and beginning of the Fall Semester for a Service & Justice Trip. Priority application deadline for these students is September 1st with applications accepted on a rolling basis through September 16th as spaces are available.
4. Payment (August 25)
The price of the Fall 2020 Service & Justice Trips is $325 for a full week trip and $235 for 5-day Omaha trips. Most trips cost more than this; however, the price is kept relatively low due to the generosity of donors who support SCSJ fundraising efforts.
In order to streamline the process of collecting payments, the SCSJ will be collecting payments on August 25th. Your Service & Justice Trips payment will be refundable for one week from the date of payment. Should you withdraw from the Service & Justice Trips program after that point, no portion of the payment is refundable because costs have been incurred on your behalf to prepare for the trips.
There are a limited number of need-based student scholarships available. The priority deadline for scholarships is August 19. After that, scholarship applications will be processed on a rolling basis while funds allow. You can apply for a scholarship here.
- If you will be under 19 years old at any point during Fall Break 2020, please download the “Service & Justice Trips Under 19 Release Form.” You and a parent or guardian must both sign the document and return it before the time of your trip. You can e-mail it to Jeff Peak, or fax it to the SCSJ at 402.280.1259.
- Participants will find out at the first General Meeting where they are going on their trips.
- Our coordinators are of all ages, sophomores-seniors and a few graduate students.
- Before break, each Service & Justice Trips participant is required to complete Creighton’s Children and Vulnerable Adults training.
- There are a limited number of spots available. Once we reach our capacity number based on completed applications (including interviews), any additional applicant will be placed on the waiting list.
- The formation meetings listed below are mandatory. If you miss more than one of the General Meetings, we will re-evaluate your participation in the program with the likelihood that you will be asked to go on a trip in a future semester when you can attend the formation meetings.
Important Dates: 2020 Fall Break Service & Justice Trips
|Priority Application Deadline||May 1||11:59 pm||Online Application|
|Scholarship Applications Due||Aug. 19||N/A||Online Application|
|Participant Interviews||TBA||TBA||Online with a Core Team Member|
|Payment Due||Aug. 25||8 AM-4:30 PM||SCSJ|
|General Meeting 1||Sept. 17||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 2||Sept. 24||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 3||Oct. 1||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|Send Off Service||Oct. 8||9-10:00 PM||St. John’s Church|
|Fall Break 2020||Oct. 9-17||N/A|
|Reunion||Oct. 22||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|