Below is the information about the three required pieces of a complete Service & Justice Trips participant application.
Coordinator applications are due March 28 for Fall Break 2019.
Find out more on the Coordinator Information page.
1. Apply online for a 2019 Fall Break Service & Justice Trip (due April 24).
In addition to the standard information that most applications ask for, the online application also has several brief essays and asks applicants to rank social justice issues they might be interested in learning about on a trip. The application takes about half an hour, and there is no way to save and come back. Please plan accordingly.
All applications are for the general Service & Justice Trips Program and not for a specific site. We will take into consideration your preferences but we can offer no placement guarantees.
The second part the application process is signing up for, and participating in one of the two-session group interviews to be held on April 25th at 8 pm OR 9 pm (or individually by appointment for applicants after April 25th). The interview takes about 35 minutes is an opportunity for us to get to know you a little better, to give you a feel for the type of reflection we do on the trips, to see how you interact in a small group setting, and for you to get your questions about Service & Justice Trips answered. Interviews are informal; no need to dress up. If you are studying abroad, please contact Jeff Peak to set up a Skype interview.
E-mail Jeff Peak if you have questions about the interview process.
3. Make your deposit.
By April 29th, you will be notified if you’ve been accepted in the Service & Justice Trips program. In order to officially hold your spot in the program, you are asked to make a $50 deposit. The day to make your deposit will be April 29 - May 1. Payments of cash, check, or credit card will be accepted. After April 30th, spots will be filled in the Service & Justice Trips program on a first come, first served basis. Once the program is full, everyone else will be placed on a wait list. The cost of the entire trip is $325 for full week and $235 for 5-day Omaha trips. The remaining balance of your payment will be due in August. Costs are offset by SCSJ fundraising.
Your $50 deposit is refundable until May 10, 2019, should you choose not to participate in the program. If you withdraw your application after that point, up to $150 of the payment may be refunded. Should you choose not to participate in the program after placement has occurred, no portion of the payment is refundable because costs have been incurred on your behalf to prepare for the trips.
There are a limited number of need-based student scholarships available. The priority deadline for scholarships is April 18. After that, they will be processed on a rolling basis while funds allow. You can apply for a scholarship here.
- If you will be under 19 years old at any point during Fall Break 2019, please download the “Service & Justice Trips Under 19 Release Form.” You and a parent or guardian must both sign the document and return it by the time of your trip. You can e-mail it to Jeff Peak, or fax it to the SCSJ at 402.280.1259.
- Limited spots are reserved in the program for incoming first-year, international, and transfer students. Online applications can be submitted
- Participants will find out before the first General Meeting where they are going on their trips.
- Our coordinators are of all ages, sophomores-seniors and a few graduate students.
- Before break, each Service & Justice Trips participant is required to complete Creighton’s Children and Vulnerable Adults training.
- There are a limited number of spots available. Once we reach our capacity number based on completed applications (including deposit and interview sign up), any additional applicant will be placed on the waiting list.
- The formation meetings listed below are mandatory. If you miss more than one of the General Meetings, we will ask you to withdraw from the program and go in a future semester when the dates work better with your schedule.
Important Dates: 2019 Spring Break Service & Justice Trips
|General Applications Due||April 24||N/A||Online|
|Scholarship Applications Due||Apr. 22||N/A||Online|
|Coordinator & Participant Trips Deposits Due||April 29 & May 1||8 AM-4:30 PM||SCSJ|
|Participant Interviews||Apr. 25||8-9 PM or 9-10 PM||Harper 3023|
|General Meeting* 1||Sep. 19||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|General Meeting* 2||Sep. 26||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting* 3||Oct. 3||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
|Fall Send Off Service||Oct. 10||9-10:00 PM||St. John’s Church|
|Fall Break 2019||Oct. 13-20||N/A||All over!|
|FBSJT Reunion||Oct. 24||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|