A complete, on-time Spring Break Service & Justice Trips 2014 application will include the following items:
*For a list of important dates, scroll to the bottom of the page
1) An Online Application: Applications will be available November 11, 2013. They will be accepted until November 20, 2013. All applications are to the general Spring Break Service & Justice Trips 2014 Program, not for a specific site. We will take into consideration your preferences but offer no placement guarantee. (Host site placement preference is given to returning participants.)
As part of the online application,
- You will rank justice issues you are interested in.
- You will be completing brief essays.
- There is no option to save and return so plan about 35 minutes to complete the entire application.
2) A deposit of $50 is required to hold your spot. The $50 deposit will only be accepted on November 19 or 20. This deposit is required for your application to be considered complete. Payments of cash, check or credit card will be accepted. The cost of the entire trip is $310 for full week and $210 for 5-day Omaha trips, and the remaining balance of your payment is due on January 27th or 28th between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm.
**Your $50 deposit is refundable until December 13, 2013 should you choose to not participate in the program. If you withdraw your application after that point, up to $150 of the payment may be refunded. Should you choose to not participate in the program after placement has occurred, no portion of the payment is refundable because donations to host sites and other costs have already been incurred by this time.
** There are a limited number of need-based student scholarships. Priority will be given to earlier applications and all applications are due by November 18, 2013 by midnight ** Scholarship Link (scholarship deadline now past).
3) Interview Sign-ups. The third and final part of a complete, on-time application is signing up for an interview. The 15 minute interviews will be held November 22nd, 23rd, and 25th. You will sign up for an interview in the CCSJ while you make your deposit. (Interviews are held in the CCSJ; no need to dress up.) Please read “In the Service of Life” before coming for your interview as one of the questions will be about this reflection.
4) If you will be under 19 during Spring Break 2014 (March 7-15, 2014), download the “Spring Break Service and Justice Trips Under 19 Release” document. You and a parent or guardian both must sign the document and return it by February 6, 2014. Your parent or guardian can fax it to the CCSJ (402-280-1259).
Points of information about the Service & Justice Trips Program
1. For the sake of simplicity and group unity, each student will sign an agreement to not consume alcohol, not bring an iPod (or other personal music player), not use a personal cell phone while on the trip for calls or texts (the group will have a cell number they can give to family/friends for emergencies), not bring a personal computing device (laptop, tablet, etc.) and will abide by Creighton’s Handbook while on a trip.
2. Participants will be notified before semester break if they have been accepted to the program. The list of group placements will be posted by February 3, 2014 in the CCSJ office and via email.
3. Our coordinators are of all ages, sophomores-seniors and a few graduate students.
4. Before Spring Break, each Service & Justice Trips participant is required to complete Creighton’s Children and Vulnerable Adult training.
MANDATORY Spring Break Service & Justice Trips 2014 dates for your planner:
*Absence of more than 1 general meeting can disqualify participation in the program. Failure to attend the formation meetings puts the participant at a disadvantage to knowing the program and their host site before departure.
|Spring Break Service & Justice Trips 2014 Information Meetings (optional)||November 11th, 12th||9 pm||Harper Ballroom|
|Scholarship Applications Due||November 18th||Online|
|Applications & Payments Due||November 19th/20th||8am-4pm||CCSJ, Harper 2067|
|Interviews||November 22, 23, 25||CCSJ, Harper 2067|
|Program Participant List Posted||by the end of this semester||via Email|
|1st General Meeting||Thurs, Feb. 6th||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|2nd General Meeting||Thurs, Feb. 20th||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|3rd General Meeting||Thurs, Feb. 27th||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|Send-Off Service*||Thurs, Mar. 6, 2014||9-10:30 PM*||St. John’s Church|
|Spring Break Service & Justice Trips||Fri. Mar. 7th/Sat. Mar. 8th- Sat. Mar. 15th||Community Host Partners Across America|
|Reunion||Thurs., Mar. 20, 2014||9-10:30 PM||Skutt Ballroom|
*All are welcome to enjoy cookies and hot chocolate after the Send-Off Service.
Student costs offset through student fundraising and CSU funding.