A complete, on-time Fall Break Service & Justice Trips 2014 application will include the following items:
*For a list of important dates, scroll to the bottom of the page
1) An Online Application: Applications will be available April 3, 2014. They will be accepted until April 14, 2014. All applications are to the general Fall Break Service & Justice Trips 2014 Program, not for a specific site. We will take into consideration your preferences but offer no placement guarantee. (Host site placement preference is given to returning participants.)
As part of the online application,
- You will rank justice issues you are interested in.
- You will be completing brief essays.
- There is no option to save and return so plan about 35 minutes to complete the entire application.
2) A deposit of $50 is required to hold your spot. The $50 deposit will only be accepted on April 11 and 14. This deposit is required for your application to be considered complete. Payments of cash, check or credit card will be accepted. The cost of the entire trip is $325 for full week and $225 for 5-day Omaha trips, and the remaining balance of your payment is due between August 26-28 between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm.
**Your $50 deposit is refundable until May 9, 2014 should you choose to not participate in the program. If you withdraw your application after that point, up to $150 of the payment may be refunded. Should you choose to not participate in the program after placement has occurred, no portion of the payment is refundable because donations to host sites and other costs have already been incurred by this time.
** There are a limited number of need-based student scholarships. Priority will be given to earlier applications and all applications are due by April 9th by midnight ** Scholarship Link .
3) Interview Sign-ups. The third and final part of a complete, on-time application is signing up for an interview. The 15 minute interviews will be held April 22-24. You will sign up for an interview in the CCSJ while you make your deposit. (Interviews are held in the CCSJ; no need to dress up.) Please read “In the Service of Life” before coming for your interview as one of the questions will be about this reflection.
4) If you will be under 19 during Fall Break 2014 (October 17-25, 2014), download the “Fall Break Service and Justice Trips Under 19 Release” document. You and a parent or guardian both must sign the document and return it by August 28th. Your parent or guardian can fax it to the CCSJ (402-280-1259).
Points of information about the Service & Justice Trips Program
1. For the sake of simplicity and group unity, each student will sign an agreement to not consume alcohol, not bring an iPod (or other personal music player), not use a personal cell phone while on the trip for calls or texts (the group will have a cell number they can give to family/friends for emergencies), not bring a personal computing device (laptop, tablet, etc.) and will abide by Creighton’s Handbook while on a trip.
2. Participants will be notified before semester break if they have been accepted to the program. The list of group placements will be posted by September 8 in the CCSJ office and via email.
3. Our coordinators are of all ages, sophomores-seniors and a few graduate students.
4. Before Fall Break, each Service & Justice Trips participant is required to complete Creighton’s Children and Vulnerable Adult training.
MANDATORY Fall Break Service & Justice Trips 2014 dates for your planner:
*Absence of more than one general meeting can disqualify participation in the program. Failure to attend the formation meetings puts the participant at a disadvantage to knowing the program and their host site before departure.
|Fall Break Service & Justice Trips 2014 Information Meetings (optional)||April 3rd and 7th||9 pm||Harper Ballroom|
|Scholarship Applications Due||April 9th||Online|
|Applications & Payments Due||April 11th and 14th||8am-4pm||CCSJ, Harper 2067|
|Interviews||April 22nd – 24th||CCSJ, Harper 2067|
|Program Participant List Posted||By the end of this semester||via Email|
|1st General Meeting||Sept. 11th||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|2nd General Meeting||September 25th||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|3rd General Meeting||October 9th||9-10:30 PM||Harper Ballroom|
|Send-Off Service*||October 16||9-10:30 PM*||St. John’s Church|
|Spring Break Service & Justice Trips||October 17 – 25||Community Host Partners Across America|
|Reunion||October 30||9-10:30 PM||TBA|
*All are welcome to enjoy cookies and hot chocolate after the Send-Off Service.
Student costs offset through student fundraising and CSU funding.