Internships and conferences around the country, particularly focused in Washington D.C. and Omaha, working with great partners including:
- Columban Center for Advocacy and Outreach
- Omaha Together One Community
- Jesuit Conference: Office of Justice and Ecology
- Great Plains United Methodist
Students participating in these internships will:
- Become faith justice leaders among their Jesuit/Catholic University peers
- Lead others in engaging the legislative system to change structures with and on behalf of the poor and marginalized
- Gain connections for personal and professional development in social justice areas of research and policy
- Reflect on their own gifts, the needs of our world and their vocation
- Reflect daily using reflection guide from SCSJ and weekly with others in the internship program
Creighton students who will be sophomores, juniors or seniors during the 2018-2019 school year are eligible to apply.
Upon return to Creighton students will share their summer learning with the Creighton campus community by:
- Taking on a leadership role on campus (e.g. SCSJ Ignatian Advocacy Groups leadership)
- Presenting to the faculty/staff community about their summer internship during a lunch in Fall 2018
- Helping recruit students for 2019 summer internships
Spring 2018: 3 formation meetings with students in program and SCSJ staff member.
Summer 2018: Minimum of 8 weeks commitment. Most placements are 40 hours a week with some evening and weekends required.
If you are interested, please read our faith justice internships and conferences promotional flyer and apply. Those students selected by SCSJ staff will be eligible for SCSJ funding. A separate application and interview will be required for agency placement. For selected students up to a $2,000 stipend will be provided, with transportation to and from assignment covered.
These internships have their own specific applications which will have to be completed and sent to the respective organization following interviews and acceptance by the SCSJ. These internships receive a limited stipend and may require some personal costs or fundraising. Applying to more than one internship is permitted. Preference will be given to students able to serve on the SCSJ Ignatian Advocacy Team next year.
If you would like to apply for one of these internships, please contact Kelly Tadeo Orbik at email@example.com.
Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD) Internships
The CCHD provides grants to grassroots groups working to address the root causes of poverty in their communities. Interns will assist CCHD staff in parish education, training and outreach; letter and article writing; research; visiting funded groups; and developing relationships with community organizations. There are positions 30 dioceses across the country as well as the national office in Washington D.C.. Internships are offered during the Summer, Fall, or Fall+Spring. Visit the CCHD website to learn more and apply.
NETWORK Associate Program
This is a post-graduate, 11-month intensive educational and professional development experience in legislative advocacy rooted in Catholic principles of social justice. Associates will live in Washington D.C. and immerse themselves in lobbying, community organizing, coalition-building, and much more. There are three types of positions available: grassroots mobilization, communications, and government relations. More information about the program can be found here.
Catholic Social Ministry Gathering “Building Community: A Call to the Common Good“
Ecumenical Advocacy Days 2018: A World Uprooted Responding to Migrants, Refugees and Displaced People.