In Gratitude

As a senior who is graduating in less than two weeks, reflection over the past four years and deep, grateful nostalgia have been consuming most of my time. It doesn’t seem real that soon I’ll be an alumna of a university that has taught me the true meaning of a faith that does justice.
Kaitlin_CroppedIn thinking back through all of my powerful experiences here, I’m taken back to my first experience with the SCSJ: a General Meeting for a Fall Break Service & Justice Trip my sophomore year. That night I was so nervous and anxious, but the student Coordinators for my trip made me feel incredibly welcome- a feeling I soon came to learn is integral to the mission the SCSJ lives out every single day.
That Fall Break, I spent a week at the Catholic Worker Storefront in Cleveland, Ohio with eight other students who changed my life for the better. Experiencing a week of injustice, education, and meeting individuals who live very different lives from my own provided me with a perspective on life that I can never again ignore. Because of that trip, I realized the importance of putting my faith into action and living out the true meaning of being a woman who is both for and with others.
My experience with the SCSJ didn’t end there. Since then, I’ve had the privilege of going on a second Service & Justice trip to Anthony, New Mexico, where I spent a week at the Women’s Intercultural Center learning about immigration and life at the border. And then, during my junior year, I found myself applying to work in the SCSJ and accepting a position as Office Specialist/Weekly Service Coordinator for my final year here at Creighton. All of these experiences shaped me in immeasurable ways, and I am forever grateful. The people I met in Cleveland, in Anthony, at my weekly service site at the North Omaha Boys & Girls Club, and in the SCSJ will always hold the most special place in my heart. Thank you, Schlegel Center for Service & Justice, for teaching me, shaping me, and sharing what it truly means to be Jesuit educated.
Kaitlin Carlson
College of Arts & Sciences
The SCSJ blogs are meant to be a place for Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and friends to reflect on their experiences with programs sponsored by the office or related to its mission. The views expressed in these reflections, and all other blogs found on or linked to from this website, are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of Creighton University, the Schlegel Center for Service and Justice (SCSJ), or any of the University’s affiliates. The University and the SCSJ are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, or opinions expressed in these blogs.