Starting my summer with the Columban Center for Advocacy and Outreach

EdNunezBlog1Being here in Washington, D.C., for a week already has been a whirlwind but an awesome time! My day-to-day work will be working from 9:00am-5:00pm researching legislation, putting together news summaries, attending coalition meetings and hearings, participating in lobby visits, and other tasks. My focus area for the summer is on economic justice so I will be researching developments with the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement and the Dodd-Frank Act. The first week has been busy and long with many presentations and talks about the Columban Fathers and their work around the world and meeting other people and organizations involved in faith-based advocacy in the D.C. area. I am living in intentional community, which has been wonderful so far, because I get to hear stories and experiences of people just a few years older than me who love the same things I do!

Being Jesuit educated for the past 6 years has given me a great perspective on social issues and faith. However, since I am living in a Franciscan-oriented house and working with the Columban Fathers, I am beginning to see my own Jesuit education in a different light and also how all kinds of Catholic orders of priests and sisters approach the value of a “faith that does justice” differently. The beauty in this is that they all believe God’s Kingdom can and will be built here on Earth. And if we all work together in that journey, we are putting our faith into action.

This is what I am hoping for and looking forward to – seeing the progress we can make in faith-based advocacy in the U.S. and how strong the faith community, no matter the denomination or religion, is in bringing justice, peace, and care for creation to the forefront of American politics.

Ed Nuñez
Creighton University, College of Arts and Sciences 2018
Summer Faith-Justice Intern with the Columban Center for Advocacy and Outreach

The SCSJ blogs are meant to be a place for Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and friends to reflect on their experiences with programs sponsored by the office or related to its mission. The views expressed in these reflections, and all other blogs found on or linked to from this website, are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of Creighton University, the Schlegel Center for Service and Justice (SCSJ), or any of the University’s affiliates. The University and the SCSJ are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, or opinions expressed in these blogs.