Meet the Philippines: One of my Two Homes

This is the Philippines. It may not be the best or richest country in the world, but nonetheless, this is one of my homes on this planet. Even though I didn’t grow up here, I still claim this to be my home because it’s rich cultures and traditions are still present in my life today. Growing up with the same food, the language, and the same gestures and manners, I sometimes consider myself a Filipino before an American. I am a first generation immigrant. Both of my parents immigrated from the Philippines, but I was born in the U.S.

Roselle If you asked me ten years ago if I thought that I could be interested in immigration in the future, I would most likely say yes. Growing up in California, especially in an immigrant family, I always had some part in immigration, whether it was because of my grandparents or my other relatives. At every point in my life, there was always someone who was immigrating to the U.S. or simply staying with us for three months.

These past seven Wednesdays that I have been fasting, my mind always brings me back to families, not just my own immigrant family, but other families as well. Being at Juan Diego, interning at their Immigration Legal Services, I work with a lot of families and hear a lot of Immigration stories. I have been fasting for the families that I help at Juan Diego, helping them receive their legal status and keeping families together. I fast not only for these individuals, but for our Omaha community and immigrants everywhere.

Being a family of immigrants, I understand the heartache of leaving a homeland (safe to say I get that way every time I leave the Philippines). It’s one of the hardest decisions one can make, however the idea of providing a safer, brighter future for the family makes the world of difference. To end this blog, I thought I would end it in a quote, “Love one another, contribute to the needs of others, live peaceably with all.” (Romans 12: 9-18)

Roselle Agdipa
College of Arts and Sciences
CCSJ Student Coordinator

The CCSJ blogs are meant to be a place for Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and friends to reflect on their experiences with programs sponsored by the office or related to its mission. The views expressed in these reflections, and all other blogs found on or linked to from this website, are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of Creighton University, the Creighton Center for Service and Justice (CCSJ), or any of the University’s affiliates. The University and the CCSJ are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, or opinions expressed in these blogs.

PrintStumbleUponDeliciousShare