Being Simple isn’t Simple

Bridget Su CasaSimplicity was emphasized on my trip because of the simplistic practices we engaged in while we were at the Su Casa Catholic Worker House. The food supply for the house is provided solely by donations from community organizations that have food that they cannot sell. So during the week – along with living on less shower time, less connection to electronics, less make-up, fewer clothes – the group also ate food that was either out-of-date or damaged. I was struck by the way people can and do live on simple diets and how that is a way of simple living in which I could easily engage, in addition to the others. Even if I don’t eat damaged or out-of-date foods, downsizing my menu options to become a simpler, more ethical eater is something I can do.

I internalized simplicity on my trip by recognizing that the simple is not so simple. Our group confronted issues regarding hunger, violence, and immigration. When you initially meet someone with these struggles, you see a person who is hungry, who has lost a loved one to guns, who cannot gain legal status. But each person has policies, an event, a story that creates the situation he or she is in. Simplicity in the form of a simple existence – little money, few resources, little food, few electronic devices, no personal transportation – can really be a vision of a very complicated existence. And I think that is worth noting and taking into account whether you become a lawyer, a doctor, a business person, a teacher, an artist, or a politician. No person has total control of circumstances. No person is unaffected by the plight around them, even if they do not acknowledge it. Simplicity can be the facade under which complexity thrives.

Bridget Battafarano
College of Arts and Sciences
Service and Justice Trips Participant

The CCSJ blogs are meant to be a place for Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and friends to reflect on their experiences with programs sponsored by the office or related to its mission. The views expressed in these reflections, and all other blogs found on or linked to from this website, are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of Creighton University, the Creighton Center for Service and Justice (CCSJ), or any of the University’s affiliates. The University and the CCSJ are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, or opinions expressed in these blogs.