Remembering Today

Amal shares her dream with the group.An excerpt from John O’Donohue’s poem “For the Traveler”
“When you travel, you find yourself
Alone in a different way,
More attentive now
To the self you bring along,
Your more subtle eye watching
You abroad; and how what meets you
Touches that part of the heart
That lies low at home.”

Sometimes it feels as though the only way to be completely present in life is to travel and temporarily break-up from the current life we live. Being in a college environment where we are repeatedly asked questions regarding our plans for the future only adds to the difficulty of experiencing the present as it is given. Having to constantly think of and plan for the future, we sometimes forget to appreciate the present and all that surrounds us. We forget to travel outside our daily routines and do something that truly touches our hearts and connects us to nature and other human beings. Over the Easter weekend, I ventured outside my daily routines and spent some time having intentional conversations with friends and family and acknowledging the natural world that I live in. I had not realized how long it had been since I had paid attention to the ducks quacking or the changing colors of the clouds in the sky. I was reminded that I do not need to travel far to be present in today.

Amal Barre
College of Arts and Sciences
Student Coordinator

The CCSJ blogs are meant to be a place for Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and friends to reflect on their experiences with programs sponsored by the office or related to its mission. The views expressed in these reflections, and all other blogs found on or linked to from this website, are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of Creighton University, the Creighton Center for Service and Justice (CCSJ), or any of the University’s affiliates. The University and the CCSJ are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, or opinions expressed in these blogs.

PrintStumbleUponDeliciousShare

Tags: