Kinship – It’s in the Details

Fr. Greg Boyle, S.J. tells us a little bit about the meaning of the word kinship. “Kinship – not serving the other, but being one with the other. Jesus was not a ‘man for others’; he was one with them. There is a world of difference in that.”

So we see that kinship is quite the challenge to attain. On our service trips and in life, kinship is the ideal and it is what we should strive for. But how often do we truly experience kinship and oneness with another person? I would say not very often. Once, maybe twice in a week-long service trip if we’re lucky. True kinship may even pass us by if we’re not paying careful attention.

906202_10151526535552372_1556827248_o

But it is the very few times where we actually do experience kinship that makes all the difference in life. “God is in the details,” architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe said, and it is the details that provide the context for our lives. The details, the very times where we are truly one with another person, are what give life meaning. In this way, we are able to experience God by breaking down the barriers of human difference and relating to and being one with another person despite our differences. Or by accomplishing an arduous task with another person. Or in a really good cup of coffee. These instances of kinship are undeniably God and an attempt to explain the feeling we get when we experience this kinship is nothing other than futile.

On my service trip to Detroit, we went to different sites each day, so it was rather difficult to build relationships where we felt like we were truly one with another person. However, there was one instance on one of our first days in Detroit where we were working in a food pantry. We were sorting food and hygiene products into bags and boxes. I was working with another individual who was about my age, but he was working in the food pantry as part of his community service for parole. We had a lot to sort, so we needed to work quickly and efficiently. We didn’t say much and we worked as fast as we could to accomplish this task.

This was the most profound instance of kinship I encountered on my trip. While we didn’t share much about ourselves with each other, we were able to connect on a deeper level without exchanging very many words. The differences in our backgrounds and experiences didn’t matter anymore. We were focused on working together to accomplish a shared task. And from this experience, we were able to easily relate to each other after we finished the job when we otherwise might not have been able to. I would have never thought that I could have experienced being one with another person in such a simple way. From that experience, I learned to look for those rare opportunities where I can share an experience with another person, and I learned to look for God in the details.

Andrew Smith
Host Site: Detroit, Michigan

The CCSJ blogs are meant to be a place for Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and friends to reflect on their experiences with programs sponsored by the office or related to its mission. The views expressed in these reflections, and all other blogs found on or linked to from this website, are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of Creighton University, the Creighton Center for Service and Justice (CCSJ), or any of the University’s affiliates. The University and the CCSJ are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, or opinions expressed in these blogs.