CCSJ Graduate Assistantship

The Creighton Center for Service and Justice (CCSJ) graduate assistant is a position designed to give graduate students (particularly those individuals pursuing Master’s degrees in Ministry, Theology, Christian Spirituality, or Negotiation and Dispute Resolution a chance to develop leadership and proficiency in faith/justice ministry as an integral member of the CCSJ team. Past Graduate Assistants have primarily worked with our Ignatian Advocacy Team, Ignatian Family Teach-in for Justice trip, the Service & Justice Trips program, and also worked with our Communications Team, Fundraising Team, and the Project Homeless Connect Omaha annual event. Compensation includes either partial or full tuition depending on the graduate program, stipend, and numerous opportunities for professional development. Check out the full position description for more information.

CCSJ-Graduate-Assistantship-Position-Description-2015-17

Applications will be accepted December 1, 2015 through March 1, 2016.

Past Graduate Assistants

Right to Left:
Mike Rios  (2013-present) now enrolled in the Master’s in Ministry Program
Cat Keating  (2013-2015) completed the Master’s in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution
(not pictured) Molly Dellaria  (2011-2013) completed in the Master’s in Ministry Program
Patrick O’Malley (2011-2013) completed his MBA at Creighton
Jeff Peak (2009-2011) completed the Master’s in Ministry Program
Allison Kinney-Walker (2007-2009) completed the Master’s in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution
Kelly Tadeo Orbik (2006-2008) completed the Master’s in Negotiation and Dispute Resolution

“Over my time as a CCSJ Graduate Assistant, I have seen a lot of both professional and personal growth. I have come to be able to lead students through putting on a program or event; I have a better sense of what it means to be a supervisor and to be supervised; I have come very far in understanding policy, government, and political action for change; and more. I see that the foundations of many concrete skills have been laid that I hope to continue to nurture and build upon. However, it has been the spiritual and ‘soul’ formation that happens when working with compassionate people- living to form a more just and peaceful world- that has made the largest impact on my life. This community has been pivotal in fostering a desire to go to Bethlehem, Palestine in my next step and to do the work that I feel called to do. The CCSJ is a place to feel safe to talk about anger, sadness, and frustration at a world that is often broken and hurting. This is the ground on which hearts of compassion are ignited. I am grateful for my time with the CCSJ!” – Cat Keating       Cat is volunteering with the Mennonite Central Committee in Bethlehem, Palestine. 

“My time as a graduate assistant for the Creighton Center for Service and Justice was integral to my professional growth, networking with community agencies, and building my confidence as a young recent graduate. I had the opportunity to pursue my interests, enhance my presentation and organizational skills, and create new programs and activities. While serving as an the Grad Assistant, I also was able to meet and work with many community leaders and agencies. I still partner with many of those same individuals in my current role. Lastly, being an intern gave me the opportunity to be innovative and try new things. Creating and leading programs at the CCSJ prepared me for my current role and gave me the confidence I needed to begin new initiatives. I am extremely grateful for my time as a CCSJ Assistant.” - Allison Kinney-Walker     Presently Allison is the Director of Upward Bound at Nebraska Methodist College while pursuing her doctorate in Education.

“The CCSJ Graduate Assistantship allowed me to follow my passions, hone my skills and gain valuable experience in faith-justice ministry. I was able to transition from the peer ministry of coordinating domestic and international immersions to learning the administrative aspects of our Service and Justice Trips program. I created a 1 credit class that I was able to teach when I completed my degree and was hired as a staff member in the CCSJ. The Werner Institute was a great program for me to learn conflict resolution and group facilitation theory and practice. In any group there is conflict, it can be good or bad depending on how it is steered.” - Kelly Tadeo Orbik     Currently Kelly is the Associate Director of the CCSJ.

If you have any questions about the CCSJ Graduate Assistant position, please contact Ken Reed-Bouley, director of the CCSJ. Questions regarding the Creighton University graduate school and graduate school admissions process can be directed to either program advisers or the Graduate School.

PrintStumbleUponDeliciousShare