Fundraising Fire

Two days a week I wake up a little earlier than normal and stroll into the CCSJ to work in the office. My job is not the excitement of planning the Service & Justice Trips send-off, corresponding with government officials, or leading a weekly service site. Rather, my responsibility in the office is a word that sends dread through many college students: fundraising.

To be honest, the word still sends shivers down my spine and I still am fearful of the rejection that may await me when visiting a business or talking with a company manager on the phone. But over the past few months, I have come to appreciate more and more why I spend time composing emails asking for donations to businesses or tracking which Omaha store has graciously given us a free meal or auction item. 

The time I spend in the office fundraising is an opportunity to serve in a different manner. Sometimes service does not always look like a mutual interaction between individuals. Sometimes service may be using the gifts and the opportunities you have been given in the classroom, at a desk, or on a basketball court to empower others. As Dr. Martin Luther King says, “Everybody can be great… because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”

The fundraising work I do may appear monotonous and daunting to me, but as I do the work I recall that I am working to allow for other students on campus to have the service trip experiences I have had over the past three years. I want others to be able to experience the love that is present at the Siena/Francis House, to wrestle with the challenges of the Native American lifestyle at Wind River, and to learn that the “past is prolonged” in Montgomery, AL. The money, I, and the rest of the fundraising team, raise is important for others to have similar and different experiences than I and to experience the “gritty reality” of this world.

Colin McDonaldSenior
Service and Justice Trips CORE team

The CCSJ blogs are meant to be a place for Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and friends to reflect on their experiences with programs sponsored by the office or related to its mission. The views expressed in these reflections, and all other blogs found on or linked to from this website, are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of Creighton University, the Creighton Center for Service and Justice (CCSJ), or any of the University’s affiliates. The University and the CCSJ are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, or opinions expressed in these blogs.

PrintStumbleUponDeliciousShare