A Little Sun and Water – Growing Community

One of my highlights of the entire Fall Break Service and Justice Trip about Sustainability in Omaha was going to City Sprouts, a community garden located close to the Augustana Lutheran Church (where we stayed for the trip).

I loved being outside with nature and doing some good old physical labor beside my group members. We even made some critter friends! In light of the fall season, we were clearing out and replanting a lot of the plants there.

Linnea and her Fall Break group

This place stuck out to me because even though it’s located in a high-risk neighborhood and there had been a tragic incident on the grounds before the garden existed, it is a place of growth and community that creates a really positive environment.

I also love how this garden is a place for learning. People in the community can rent garden plots and learn how to grow their own fruits and vegetables. There was also a designated area for composting; I never realized that it’s a step-by-step process that takes so much time and attention.

I am so glad we got to meet the director of the garden, a woman named Roxanne who is completely dedicated to her vocation. I felt like she instantly connected with us, and I love how she is so in-tune with the community and is so hard-working in the garden. She also has strong perseverance in that she’s had to overcome many obstacles to get the garden operating. In fact, she is still working on getting water access for one of the garden lots. Roxanne was so appreciative of our work and I’m glad that we could be of service to her and the garden.

Linnea Tokushige
2015 Graduate
Major: Pre-Pharmacy
Host Site: Sustainability, Omaha NE

The CCSJ blogs are meant to be a place for Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and friends to reflect on their experiences with programs sponsored by the office or related to its mission. The views expressed in these reflections, and all other blogs found on or linked to from this website, are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of Creighton University, the Creighton Center for Service and Justice (CCSJ), or any of the University’s affiliates. The University and the CCSJ are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, or opinions expressed in these blogs.

PrintStumbleUponDeliciousShare