Cookies as a Common Language

Of all of the inspiring people I encountered in El Paso, the most touching relationship I made was with six-year-old Thiago. He got caught crossing the border into the United States and therefore was assigned to live with a foster family that works with the child detention center.

The El Paso Group

We spent about an hour with the kids from the center and the whole time Thiago had a wide-spread grin across his face to accompany his sparkling brown eyes. He always had something to say no matter the time of day: song time, snack time, or craft time. During craft time I was helping him decorate a box with stickers and sequins, gluing things on and sticking things together. Apparently, assistance is not something he accepts often.

“He must like you! He never lets anyone help him work,” the volunteers told me. “Thiago, you like her, you think she’s pretty!”

He just smiled even bigger and continued working.

Although the only Spanish I remember is from middle and high school language classes, we were still able to converse. We talked a lot about the alphabet and his cookies and milk, but eventually we began to play a game. He would say a word in Spanish and I would respond by telling him what it was in English. The words were simple like dog, window, mirror, star, cookie, and even after we went through a whole roll of them we would start over from the beginning. Each sequence made me smile.

Thiago taught me that even when you go through hard times in your life it is okay to continue living in the present as a being who has the ability to encompass happiness and share it as well, even if the person you share it with is someone you just met.

He helps me put a name to one of the many faces of immigration who are categorized as aliens, drug dealers, and terrorists. In reality the majority of them are normal humans who deserve to lead a better way of life.

Natalie Davies
2015 Graduate
Host Site: El Paso, TX – Columban

The CCSJ blogs are meant to be a place for Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and friends to reflect on their experiences with programs sponsored by the office or related to its mission. The views expressed in these reflections, and all other blogs found on or linked to from this website, are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of Creighton University, the Creighton Center for Service and Justice (CCSJ), or any of the University’s affiliates. The University and the CCSJ are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, or opinions expressed in these blogs.

PrintStumbleUponDeliciousShare