Immersing Ourselves In Culture

As a current sophomore, I attended my very first Service and Justice Trip with the CCSJ last spring. Although I signed up on an impulse, going on the trip turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. My service group spent the week in the small town of Okolona, Mississippi and became immersed in the culture.

Although our main job was tutoring kids in an after-school program, we were exposed not only to the educational issues, but to the economic and social strains of the town as well. It was an incredible experience living in solidarity with the people of Okolona and being able to share and reflect on these learning experiences with my group. I left my trip with a new-found understanding of love, a passion for service and justice, and new lifelong friends. Even with time, this has not faded away.

This Fall Break, I’m traveling to St. Mary of the Woods, Indiana on a sustainability oriented trip. I know it will be just as rewarding of an experience as my last trip. The Fall and Spring Break Service and Justice Trips are truly life-changing experiences, and I can attest to that 100%.

Tracey Tran

The CCSJ blogs are meant to be a place for Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae, and friends to reflect on their experiences with programs sponsored by the office or related to its mission. The views expressed in these reflections, and all other blogs found on or linked to from this website, are those of the individual authors and are not necessarily those of Creighton University, the Creighton Center for Service and Justice (CCSJ), or any of the University’s affiliates. The University and the CCSJ are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, or opinions expressed in these blogs.

PrintStumbleUponDeliciousShare