Sorry, Weezer

Sorry, Weezer. Sorry I tweeted that your ninth studio album, Everything Will Be Alright in the End, was going to be garbage upon it’s release in early October of 2014 exactly 365 days ago. Sorry I thought the best part of the album was going to be the album art. However, lucky for me, I was very mistaken.

I was initially disappointed with the first single, and was ready to lump this album in with the likes of 2009’s Ratitutde (I will, however, be the first to admit that this album’s lead single, “(If You’re Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To,” is a great song and was on repeat for half of my freshman year of high school).

I will also admit I’ve never been Weezer’s biggest fan, and my knowledge of them is relatively limited. That’s one reason why this post is so late. I remember being somewhat pleasantly surprised upon my initial listens last October, but overall indifferent, thinking I would revisit it later. School and life being time consuming, solid albums can and sometimes do easily slip through the cracks. Luckily, I did end up revising this one in early June, and it has quickly become one of my go-to albums this summer. This album has been my companion on several flights and at least one road trip so far this summer.

Rivers Cuomo continues to please with his usually-clever-but-sometimes-cringeworthy songwriting, and the instrumentation is extremely reminiscent of 1994’s critically-acclaimed self-titled debut Weezer (or, The Blue Album, if you’re into that sort of thing). Cuomo’s lyrics over the classic heavy guitar that brought Weezer to power-pop-emo-indie rock fame shows that less can be more.

The song I expected to annoy me the most, “Da Vinci,” has ended up being my favorite track because of the chorus alone. Sure, I’m not a huge fan of the whistling, but I can’t get enough of the lyrics:

“Even Da Vinci couldn’t paint you

Stephen Hawking can’t explain you

Rosetta Stone could not translate you

I’m at a loss for words, I’m at a loss for words”

How could you not love that? Anyway, this wasn’t intended to be a review, more of a recommendation, but I’m, going to throw a rating on it anyway. So, if you’re looking for something to listen to, it certainly wouldn’t kill you to give this album a few listens.

Sorry, Weezer. Please forgive me, Rivers.

Final Rating: 7.5

-Mark Austin

Share

Comments Off

Filed under Uncategorized